Contact Us

The International Students & Programs Office (ISPO) is here to help you with any questions you might have. Our mission is to provide support and guidance to our international student population in order to help you achieve your academic, professional and personal goals.

How to find us?

International Students & Programs Office (ISPO)

Find Us on Campus

  • 1st floor of Student Center B, located on the corner of Gilman Drive and Mandeville Lane (effective July 11, 2016)
  • Open Monday through Friday, 9:00AM to 4:00PM
  • Call us: (858) 534-3730
  • Submit a question or request below
  • Please use this phone number only in a true health or safety-related emergency on weekends or after hours:

    • UC San Diego International Students & Programs Office emergency number: 858-534-4357 (UCSD Campus Police Dispatch)

Our Mailing Address

International Students & Programs Office
Student Center B
9500 Gilman Drive #0018
La Jolla, California 92093-0018

Map and Directions

When should you meet with us?

Advisors are available nearly every business day (except Tuesdays), so please feel free to make an appointment or come in for walk-in advising on designated days so that we can help you with any questions or concerns you may have. Please note Tuesdays is our office processing day and no advisors are available for walk-ins or appointments.

We can assist with anything related to maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status as well as helping you make the most of your time here as an international student at UCSD.

Mondays & Fridays: 9am-12noon
Wednesdays & Thursdays:
9am-12noon and 1pm-4pm
Mondays, Wednesdays,Thursdays & Fridays:
9am-12noon and 1pm-4pm
  • 30 minute sessions
  • More in-depth advising for complex issues
  • To schedule an appointment, please call (858) 534-3730
  • Up to 15 minutes per session
  • Great for quick questions or follow up from a previous appointment
  • No need to make an appointment

Frequently Asked Qestions

How do I become a student at UC San Diego?

How much does it cost to attend UCSD as an international student?

How can I work in the U.S.?

How do I get a Social Security Number?

What do I need to travel outside of and return to the U.S. on my student visa?

It's important that you prepare in advance of any international travel to ensure you have correct and valid documents to re-enter the United States. This information will list everything you need before you travel:

**Remember: the travel signature on your I-20/DS-2019 is valid for one year. If it has expired (or will expire while you are abroad), you need to have it signed by an international student advisor. Note that it takes 2 business days to process this request.

What do I do if I forget to obtain a valid travel signature?

If you forget your travel signature and have already left the United States, please follow these steps:

  1. Fill in a replacement I-20 Request Form (F-1 students) or a replacement DS-2019 Form (J-1 students). Choose "Replacement I-20" or "Replacement DS-2019" from the request list and briefly state that you need a new travel signature.
  2. Set up an Express Mail Services Account (eShipGlobal) so that we can send your I-20 back to you.
  3. Email with both your I-20 Request Form/DS-2019 Request Form and your Express Mail tracking number.
  4. Please allow 10 business days for processing.

How do I update my new local or permanent address?

Both F-1 and J-1 students must enter a change of address in TritonLink within 10 days of any move or change.

What do I do if I lose my 1-20 or DS-2019?

If you lose your I-20 or DS-2019, please complete the appropriate replacement document request form:

What do I need to do if I change majors?

If you change your major, you need to inform the International Students & Programs Office within10 days of this change. Both F-1 and J-1 students can find out how to do this on our Change of Major page.

What do I need to do if I change to a higher program level at UC San Diego?

If you have been accepted into a higher program level at UC San Diego (ie:bachelors to masters or masters to Ph.D.), you must apply for a program level change no later than 10 days before the end of your 60-day grace period of your previous program.

How do I take a leave of absence?

Students who wish to go on a leave of absence from UC San diego for one or more quarters must obtain permission from the International Students & Programs Office prior to their proposed leave. Both F-1 and J-1 students can find out how to do this on our Leave of Absence page.

I'm returning from a leave of absence. What should I do?

Students returning from a leave of absence can find out how to return to UCSD on our Leave of Absence page.

I want to drop below full-time student status (12 units). How do I reduce my course load (RCL)?

International students MUST receive approval from the International Students & Programs Office prior to dropping below full-time (12 units) status.

Find out more information about applying for a reduced course load.

How do I take a class at another school?

If you would like to take a class at another SEVIS-approved school at the same time as studying at UCSD, you can apply for concurrent enrollment.

How do I transfer to a new school?

If you would like to transfer to a new school, you must apply for a SEVIS record release from UC San Diego.

How do I withdraw from UCSD?

Students withdrawing from UCSD must notify the International Students & Programs Office. Find out how to do so by visiting our Withdrawal from Program of Study page.

Contact Us