F-2 Dependent Resources


Students currently in F-1 status who wish to add their legally married spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as an F-2 dependent status will need to obtain a Form I-20 for each dependent from International Students & Programs Office (ISPO).


All other relatives who wish to come to the U.S. to visit should apply for B-2 (tourism and visit) visa status or the Visa Waiver Program, if eligible.

Requesting Form I-20 for an F-2 Dependent

To request a new Form I-20 for your F-2 dependent, please follow the following instructions:

  • Complete a dependent I-20 Request Form
  • Provide recent financial documentation:
    • The funds need to cover estimated expenses for your tuition & fees
    • The funds also need to cover combined living expenses, other expenses and dependent expenses for both yourself and your F-2 dependent.
    • You must show funding to cover expenses for 12 months or the remainder of your study, whichever is less.
  • Provide a copy of dependent’s biographical page from passport
  • Provide a copy of marriage certificate or birth certificate with English translation
  • Submit all of the above documents to ISPO:
    1. by scanning and emailing them to istudents@ucsd.edu , or
    2. in person at ISPO front desk during our office hours

F-2 Employment

F-2 dependents may not engage in any employment in the U.S., including practical training.

F-2 Study

F-2 dependents are allowed to participate in part-time study in courses offered by a SEVP-certified school. They may also engage in study that recreational or avocational in nature.

Additional Resources

  • Daycare, Schools & Babysitting
  • Social Security
    • F-2  dependents are not eligible for a Social Security number.
  • Driver's License
    • Please note, dependents must show proof of ineligibility of a Social Security Card with a denial letter from the Social Security Administration prior to applying for a Driver's License.
    • Visit our Transportation page for more information on the Driver's License