Forms & Guides for F-1 Students
Links to guides & forms for students in F-1 status
- Cap-Gap OPT: I have filed an H1-B petition and I am eligible for Cap-Gap.
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT): I am a current student and want to work off-campus.
- On-Campus Employment: I am a current student and want to work on-campus.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT): I am about to graduate and want to work after I'm finished with school.
- Social Security: I just got a job and my employer wants my Social Security Number.
- STEM Extension OPT: I have a STEM major and would like to apply for STEM Extension OPT.
- Address Update: I just moved to a new home and want to update my address.
- Change of Degree Level: I have been accepted to a higher program level at UC San Diego and want to update my I-20.
- Change of Major: I changed my major and want to update my I-20.
- Completion of Program: I am graduating and completing my program of study at UC San Diego.
- Concurrent Enrollment: I want to take a class at another school while I'm enrolled at UC San Diego.
- Extension of Program: My I-20 is expiring but I need more time to complete my degree requirements. How do I extend my program?
- Leave of Absence from the USA (GRADUATE Students): I want to take a leave of absence with the intention to return to UC San Diego.
- Leave of Absence from the USA (UNDERGRADUATE Students): I want to withdraw with the intention to return to UC San Diego
- Reduced Course Load - Final Quarter: I am graduating this term, what should I do if I want to take less than 12 units during my final quarter?
- Reduced Course Load - Academic or Medical: What should I do if I want to take less than 12 units this quarter because of academic or medical reasons?
- Transfer Out to New School: I want to transfer to a new school.
- Termination and Reinstatement: What do I do if I am terminated and want to apply for reinstatement of my F-1 status?
- Withdrawal and Completion of Status:I want to withdraw from UC San Diego or complete my current visa status.
Returning to UCSD
- Returning from Leave of Absence: I am returning from a leave of absence.
- Transfer to UC San Diego: I am currently in the US at another institution, and want to transfer my SEVIS record to UC San Diego.
- Budgets and Costs for International Undergraduate Students (for I-20 and DS-2019 Purposes)
- Budgets and Costs for International Graduate Students (for I-20 and DS-2019 Purposes)
- Change of Status: I want to change my current F-1 status.
- Document Mailing: I need immigration documents sent to me. How do I arrange for express shipping?
- ITIN Information: Find out about ITIN eligibility and application procedures.
- iTriton Online Training: Review iTriton Online Training which includes information about Maintaining F-1/J-1 Status, Health, Wellbeing & Safety, Academic Success, US Basics
- Requests from Former UCSD Students: I am a former UCSD student and would like to request past F-1 immigration documents.
- South Korean Military Service: I am South Korean male and am subject to compulsory military service.
- Study Abroad: What steps do I need to take if I want to study abroad while I am a UCSD student?
- Travel and Reentry: What do I need to travel and return to the USA?
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- CPT Request Form
- Job Offer Letter Request and Sample
- Post-Cooperative Education Internship Training Report
- Summer Cooperative Agreement Form
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- OPT Request Form
- STEM Extension Application Form
- Cap-Gap I-20 Request Form
- OPT Employment Reporting Form
Please note that it takes time to process the many requests that ISPO receives from students on a daily basis. Be sure to plan ahead and gather all the forms that might be necessary for your request so that our advisors can process these in a timely manner.
ISPO's standard processing times for student requests are as follows:
* business days = Monday through Friday. Weekends are not counted as processing days.
**Please note that processing times may be longer during academic deadlines or peak travel times.
|Request||Processing Time||Documents Required|
|Change of Status to F-1 or J-1||10 business days*||
See Change of Status Guide(see "Forms & Guides for non F/J Students")
|Completion of Program / Status||5 business days||See requirements onProgram / Status Completion Form|
|Concurrent Enrollment||5 business days||See Concurrent Enrollment Guide|
|DS-2019 Request: Add Dependent||10 business days||See DS-2019 Request Form|
|DS-2019 Request: Extension||10 business days||See Program Extension Guide|
|DS-2019 Request: New DS-2019 or Program Level Change||10 business days||Request through the iPortal|
|DS-2019 Request: Replacement (lost or damaged)||5 business days||See DS-2019 Request Form|
|F-1 CPT Application||10 business days||CPT Application packet. See Curricular Practical Training Guide.|
|F-1 Cap-Gap Application or Emloyment Verification/EAD Card||5 business days||See Cap-Gap Extension Guide|
|F-1 Economic Hardship Application||10 business days||Please meet with an international student advisor|
|F-1 OPT Application||10 business days||OPT Application packet. See Optional Practical Training Guide.|
|F-1 STEM OPT Application||10 business days||See STEM Extension OPT Guide|
|I-20 Request: Add Dependent||5 business days||See I-20 Request Form|
|I-20 Request: Extension||10 business days||See Program Extension Guide|
|I-20 Request: New or Transfer in I-20 (new student, or continuing student change of status; program level change, return from leave of absence)||10 business days||Varies depending on reason for new I-20. See I-20 Request Form.NOTE: New incoming students to UCSD must request initial or transfer I-20 through theiPortal.|
|I-20 Request: Name/Major/Funding Changes OR Replacement (lost or damaged)||5 business days||See I-20 Request Form|
|I-515A (F-1 student)||5 business days||I-515A letter; copy of original I-515A documents|
|I-515A (J-1 student)||5 business days||I-515A letter; copy of original I-515A documents|
|J-1 Academic Training Application||10 business days||Academic Training Application packet. See Academic Training Guide.|
|Leave of Absence/Withdrawal||5 business days||See Leave of Absence Guideor Withdrawal from Program of Study Guide|
|Letter Request (Employment Authorization (J-1); Graduation invitation; EAP verification; Social Security verification; other)||5 business days||Varies depending on reason for letter. See Letter Request Form.|
|Reduced Course Load Request||5 business days||Before Week 2: See Reduced Course Load Guide Before Week 2. After Week 2: See Reduced Course Load Guide After Week 2.|
|Reinstatement of Status (F-1 students)||10 business days||Student should speak to an international student advisor. See Reinstatement Guide.|
|Transfer IN||10 business days||Application packet (continuing students); See I-20 Request Form.|
|Transfer OUT (SEVIS record release)||5 business days||See Transfer Out Guide|
|Travel Signature (F-1 Student)||2 business days||Original I-20 form|
|Travel Signature (J-1 Student)||2 business days||Original DS-2019 form|