Change of Major

If international students in F-1 and J-1 visa status change their academic major, this change must be reported to the International Students & Programs Office (ISPO) within 10 buisness days so that the change is accurately reflected in your SEVIS record. This is usually done automatically after the new major shows up in students TritonLink accounts.

How do I change my major?

  • If you are an undergraduate student and would like to declare or change your major, follow the steps here.
  • If you are a graduate student and would like to transfer to another department or major, follow the steps here.


How do I report my change of major?

  • If you change your major or add a second major through TritonLink, ISPO will automatically receive notification of this change and update your SEVIS record.
  • However, ISPO will not automatically issue an amended (updated) I-20/DS-2019.
  • If you need an amended (updated) I-20/DS-2019 for travel or other purposes, then you will need to request it from ISPO.
    • Note: Academic minors are not reported to your SEVIS record, so there is no need to request an updated I-20/DS-2019 if you add a minor.
  • You can request this document by logging in to . Select "I-20/DS-2019 Amendment".
    • It will take ISPO 5 business days to issue an updated I-20/DS-2019