Guides & Forms for J-1 Students
Links to forms & guides for students in J-1 status:
- I want to work on-campus.
- I am a current student and I want to work off-campus.
- I am about to graduate and I want to work after I'm finished with school.
- I just got a job and my employer wants my Social Security Number.
- I want to take a class at another school while I'm enrolled at UC San Diego.
- I changed my major and want to update my DS-2019.
- I just moved to a new home and want to update my address.
- I am graduating this term, what should I do if I want to take less than 12 units during my final quarter?
- What should I do if I want to take less than 12 units this quarter because of academic or medical reasons?
- My DS-2019 is expiring but I need more time to complete my degree requirements. How do I extend my program?
- I have been accepted to a higher program level at UC San Diego and want to update my DS-2019.
- I want to report the departure of my J-2 dependent.
- I am a Graduate Student and I want to take a leave of absence with the intention to return to UC San Diego.
- I am an Undergradaute Student and I want to withdraw with the intention to return to UC San Diego
- I want to transfer to a new school.
- I want to withdraw from UC San Diego.
- What do I need to travel and return to the USA?
- I need documents sent to me. How do I arrange for express shipping?
- ITIN Information: Find out about ITIN eligibility and application procedures.
- iTriton Online Training: Review iTriton Online Training which includes information about Maintaining F-1/J-1 Status, Health, Wellbeing & Safety, Academic Success, US Basics
- I want to change my current J-1 status and no longer want to be in J-1 status.
- I am South Korean male and am subject to compulsory military service.
- Budgets and Costs for International Undergraduate Students (for I-20 and DS-2019 Purposes)
- Budgets and Costs for International Graduate Students (for I-20 and DS-2019 Purposes)
- What steps do I need to take if I want to study abroad while I am a UCSD student?
- I am a former UCSD student and would like to request past J-1 immigration documents.
Academic Training (AT)
- Academic Training Recommendation Form
- Academic Training Job Offer Letter Request and Sample
- Health Insurance Memorandum of Understanding
- Post-Academic Training Report
- Application for Concurrent Enrollment at Another Institution
- Application to Pay Filing Fee in lieu of Registration (PhD students only)
- DS-2019 Request Form
- Leave of Absence Form
- Letter Request Form
- On-campus work authorization
- Program Completion Form
- Program Extension Form
- Reduced Course Load Request Form
- SEVIS Record Release Form
- Photo/Video Image Release Form
- Former student document request form
- J-2 Early Departure Form
Please note that it takes time to process the many requests that ISPO receives from students on a daily basis. Be sure to plan ahead and gather all the forms that might be necessary for your request so that our advisors can process these in a timely manner.
ISPO's standard processing times for student requests are as follows:
* business days = Monday through Friday. Weekends are not counted as processing days.
**Please note that processing times may be longer during academic deadlines or peak travel times.
|Request||Processing Time||Documents Required|
|Change of Status to F-1 or J-1||10 business days*||
See Change of Status Guide (see "Forms & Guides for non F/J Students")
|Completion of Program / Status||5 business days||See requirements on Program / Status Completion Form|
|Concurrent Enrollment||5 business days||See Concurrent Enrollment Guide|
|DS-2019 Request: Add Dependent||10 business days||See DS-2019 Request Form|
|DS-2019 Request: Extension||10 business days||See Program Extension Guide|
|DS-2019 Request: New DS-2019 or Program Level Change||10 business days||Request through the iPortal|
|DS-2019 Request: Replacement (lost or damaged)||2 business days||See DS-2019 Request Form|
|F-1 CPT Application||10 business days||CPT Application packet. See Curricular Practical Training Guide.|
|F-1 Cap-Gap Application or Employment Verification/EAD Card||5 business days||See Cap-Gap Extension Guide|
|F-1 Economic Hardship Application||10 business days||Please meet with an international student advisor|
|F-1 OPT Application||10 business days||OPT Application packet. See Optional Practical Training Guide.|
|F-1 STEM OPT Application||10 business days||See STEM Extension OPT Guide|
|I-20 Request: Add Dependent||10 business days||See I-20 Request Form|
|I-20 Request: Extension or Name/Major/ Funding Changes||5 business days||See Program Extension Guide|
|I-20 Request: New or Transfer in I-20 (new student, or continuing student change of status; program level change, return from leave of absence)||10 business days||Varies depending on reason for new I-20. See I-20 Request Form. NOTE: New incoming students to UCSD must request initial or transfer I-20 through the iPortal.|
|I-20 Request: Replacement (lost or damaged)||2 business days||See I-20 Request Form|
|I-515A (F-1 student)||5 business days||I-515A letter; copy of original I-515A documents|
|I-515A (J-1 student)||5 business days||I-515A letter; copy of original I-515A documents|
|J-1 Academic Training Application||10 business days||Academic Training Application packet. See Academic Training Guide.|
|Leave of Absence/Withdrawal||5 business days||See Leave of Absence Guide or Withdrawal from Program of Study Guide|
|Letter Request (Employment Authorization (J-1); Graduation invitation; EAP verification; Social Security verification; other)||5 business days||Varies depending on reason for letter. See Letter Request Form.|
|Reduced Course Load Request||5 business days||Before Week 2: See Reduced Course Load Guide Before Week 2. After Week 2: See Reduced Course Load Guide After Week 2.|
|Reinstatement of Status (F-1 students)||10 business days||Student should speak to an international student advisor. See Reinstatement Guide.|
|Transfer IN||10 business days||Application packet (continuing students); See I-20 Request Form.|
|Transfer OUT (SEVIS record release)||10 business days||See Transfer Out Guide|
|Travel Signature (F-1 Student)||2 business days||Original I-20 form|
|Travel Signature (J-1 Student)||2 business days||
Original DS-2019 form