J-2 Dependent Resources

Inviting Family Members

Students currently in J-1 status who wish to add their legally married spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as J-2 dependent status will need to obtain a Form DS-2019 for each dependent from ISPO.

All other relatives who wish to come to the U.S. to visit should apply for B-2 (visitor for pleasure) visa status or the Visa Waiver Program, if eligible.

J-2 Employment

J-2 Employment Page

J-2 Study

J-2 dependents are eligible for part-time or full-time study at every level of education. However, ISPO recommends that a J-2 dependent who plans on enrolling in an undergraduate or graduate program of study make an appointment to speak to an ISPO advisor about the benefits of changing status to a student visa.

J-2 Insurance Requirements

J-2 dependents are required by the U.S. Department of State to have health insurance for the entire duration of their stat in the United States as exchange visitors. For more information about this requirement, see our “Maintain Adequate Health Insurance” information.

International Family Orientation and Tour

Enjoy coffee, conversation and friendship every first and third Wednesday of the month at 9:15 a.m., in the International Center Dining Room. Children are welcome.

See the Family Orientation and Tour flyer (PDF) for more details.

Additional Resources

  • Daycare, Schools & Babysitting
  • Apply for Identification Documents
  • Social Security
    • Please note, J-2 dependents only qualify for a Social Security Card if they apply for J-2 Employment. Once this is approved, the J-2 must submit the EAD card and DS-2019 form to apply.
  • Driver's License
    • Please note, dependents must show proof of ineligibility of a Social Security Card with a denial letter from the Social Security Administration or apply for a number, if eligible, prior to applying for a Driver's License.