In general, all F-1 students are eligible for on-campus employment upon obtaining F-1 status. Because the employment is "incident to status," no authorization from the International Students & Programs Office or DHS is required.
Types of On-Campus Employment
In general, on-campus employment may be divided into three types:
- Work on the school premises, employed by the I-20 issuing institution (such as work for a UCSD department or college dining hall)
- Work on the school premises, employed by on-campus commercial firms (such as work at one of the restaurants in Price Center)
- Work done at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school
Conditions of On-Campus Employment
- Must be a current F-1 student, pursuing full course of study
- Does not have to be related to course of study
- Limited to 20 hours per week (or 50% time) while school is in session; can be full-time during official school breaks
***With questions regarding on campus employment, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow for 2-5 business days (not including weekends) for an advisor to review your message and respond.