Frequently Asked Questions from EAP Reciprocity Students

If you still have questions after reviewing the Student Guide, the UC Education Abroad Program’s Reciprocal Exchanges site, and Facebook pages, check for answers here:


This information is specifically for UC San Diego EAP reciprocity students, and may be different from information given for other international students.

How can I have my UC San Diego I-20 or DS-2019 sent to me?

You will be sent the I-20/DS-2019 directly to you once you set up an eShipGlobal shipping account and provide your shipping confirmation number to

Do I need to pay the SEVIS Fee?

Yes, as a new UC San Diego EAP Reciprocity student with a new SEVIS record, plan to pay. For more information regarding the SEVIS fee. It is advisable to keep with your immigration documents your I-901 receipt.

How much financial support do I need to document when I apply for my visa?

You must prove that you will have sufficient money to meet all your expenses while studying in the United States. You must explain the source of your funds and guarantee that you will receive them while at the University.

* UCEAP Reciprocity students are required to show levels of support outlined in the Budgets and Costs for International Students page.

If I have questions about the I-20/DS-2019 form I receive, whom should I contact?

You may contact Gabriela Hoffmann or Lisa Swid International Student Advisors, or call the International Students & Programs Office at 858-534-3730.

How can I receive my PID and Password?

If you forget or don't have your PID (Personal Identification Number) or password, please log on to where you will be able to retrieve your PID (Personal Identification) number and create your own password.  You will need to do this step first to activate your UC San Diego campus account and retrieve your PID.  Have your passport and UC application ID number available to facilitate your campus account activation.

Your UC application ID number is different from your UC San Diego PID.   Get the UC application ID number from your home university’s international office advisor(s). For more information, see the UCEAP Reciprocity FAQ’s.

You will click on the “First Time User?” link to enter your Application ID number as well as other personal information to complete Step 1 and 2. Note that the personal information you enter on the UCSD System Sign-In screen must match the personal information from your passport. 

Note: You must enter your date of birth in the following format: MM-DD-YYYY*(Month-Day-Year).

Once you have created your password, treat it as confidential information and do not share it with others.

How do I establish my UC San Diego email account?

Every UC San Diego student is assigned a UC San Diego email account and this will be your main account where you receive information from UCSD. Activate your UCSD email account as soon as possible so that you will not miss important messages!

To activate your account

  • Visit the ETS website and follow the directions. You will need your Personal Identification Number (PID, not your UC application ID) Use your UC application ID to login through TritonLink to get your PID. The PID is usually the letter A followed by 8 digits.
  • You can self-register your email account here:  You will need your Personal Identification Number (PID, not your UC application ID) Use your UC application ID to login through TritonLink to get your PID. The PID is usually the letter A followed by 8 digits.
  • Go to UCSD Educational Technology Services (ETS) in the Applied Physics & Mathematics Building (AP&M) in Room 1313.

How do I enroll in courses?

You will receive a message from UCEAP instructing you to log into your Tritonlink account. You can view your appointment time on Tritonlink. If you have problems accessing your account, contact the TritonLink Team at If you have questions or need assistance enrolling specific classes contact your UC San Diego College academic advisor.

Where can I find information about housing?

Do I need to attend the New International Student Orientation? How do I register for orientation?

There are two components of the international orientation at UC San Diego. The iTriton Online Training is an online format that should be taken prior to your arrival on campus. The on-campus international student orientation is scheduled at the beginning of the quarter. Students are strongly recommended to attend the on-campus international student orientation to learn about your resources and responsibilities as an international student.

What if I cannot attend the New International Student Orientation?

Do I need to check-in at the UC San Diego International Students and Programs Office?

Yes. However, attendance at the on-campus international student orientation will serve as your official check-in. If you are unable to attend orientation, you MUST come to the International Center to complete your document check process.

Can I work on UC San Diego campus?

You may possibly work on UC San Diego campus after your arrival. You must first register and attend orientation. Allow at least 10 to 15 working days for validation of your SEVIS J-1 record. You will also need to apply for a social security card and number and get documented authorization from the international student advisor. Please see J-1 Students: Working in the USA.

If I go on vacation, what documents do I need to re-enter the USA?

You must carry your I-94 status-related documents at all times. Present your current documents at the port-of-entry after a temporary absence from the USA.

J-1 students must have the following:

  • Valid DS-2019
  • Current passport (valid up to six months or more after reentry date)
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp in the passport

F-1 students must have the following:

  • Valid I-20
  • Current passport (valid up to six months or more after reentry date)
  • Valid F-1 visa stamp in the passport

We also recommend that ALL J-1 and F-1 students have proof of financial support less than six months old such as a bank statement or letter of financial support.

For more information on international travel, please visit our Travel & Re-entry page for J-1 students.

How do I cancel my participation before arriving?

Inform the UCSD International Students & Programs Office, UCEAP and your home university international office as soon as possible. You will be responsible for canceling any housing arrangements you may have made. If you withdraw from the Exchange, you will lose any housing application fees previously paid (these are non-refundable) and possibly your housing deposit.

How do I withdraw after I have arrived?

If you are considering shortening your exchange studies at UCSD, first contact your home university international office. After you have notified your home university, notify UCEAP, and meet with Gabriela Hoffmann or Lisa Swid, UCSD International Student Advisors, to talk about the next steps to take at UCSD.

How do I extend my participation at UC San Diego?

We are glad that you find the UC San Diego experience rewarding and wish to stay longer. The maximum possible period of your exchange studies at UC San Diego is 3 quarters. Extension is not guaranteed.

Plan ahead! Contact your home university, UCEAP, and your advisor at the UCSD International Students & Programs Office as early as possible with your request. If your extension is approved, you will request an updated SEVIS form DS-2019 or I-20 from the International Students & Programs Office.

EAP Reciprocity Students