Triton International Leaders (TILS)
The Triton International Leaders mentor program provides an opportunity for current students and newly admitted international students to interact, promote cultural exchange, and have a great time!
Peer Leaders develop strong leadership and communication skills while working with international students.
International students are provided the opportunity to develop familiarity with UCSD and the surrounding area with the help of their Peer Leader.
Who's Eligible to Become a Mentee
Newly admitted, degree-seeking, UC San Diego international freshmen and transfer students.
"What are the TILs?"
- Have opportunities to develop relationships with mentors who are here to support, to share college experiences with and to know that you are not alone during your transition at UCSD
- Have a resource of invaluable information necessary to accomplish academic and other personal goals
- Become familiar with UC San Diego and international students community
- Be confident about your success by knowing you have a peer who will support and encourage you academically and socially
- Be exposed to opportunities to develop leadership skills through our Leadership-in-Training projects and other experiential learning.
You and your peer leader will meet at least once month, and the International Center and the International Students & Programs Office (ISPO) will be sponsoring a number of events per quarter that are designed to be a great opportunity to interact with others, learn more about available resources, and help you succeed at UC San Diego! There will also be weekly meet-and-greets, and frequent weekend activities or excursions, and the opportunity to work towards a Triton International Leadership Certificate. In order to gain the most from the program, you will need to make an effort to participate, just as your mentor will invest time into your overall experience.
Applications for academic year 2015-2016 are now open! Limited spots are available so apply now!There will be a TILs Orientation (Information Session) on Tuesday 5-7pm, September 22, 2015. It is strongly recommended to attend this info session if you are considering to apply to be a mentee. Those eligible to apply to become a TILs' Leader-in-Training and to be assigned a peer leader (TILs staff person) include:
- Incoming Fall 2015 International Freshmen
- Incoming Fall 2015 International Transfer Students
Application questions include:
- Why would you like to be a part of the Triton International Leaders and be assigned a peer mentor?
- How do you think you will benefit from the Triton International Leaders Peer Mentoring Program?
- What do you hope to obtain through your experience in the program?