2019–2020 Budgets and Costs for International Undergraduate Students (for I-20 and DS-2019 Purposes)

Information subject to change without notice.

Please note: F-1 students must show 12 months of financial support to obtain an I-20. EAP and J-1 students must show financial support for the entire duration of program.

Students accompanied by a spouse and/or children in a dependent status should add additional amounts indicated below. 

Financial documentation

All financial documents must show funds that are easily available. Financial bank statements and/or bank letters must be less than 3 months old and include the name of the account holder.

The following items are accepted as documentation of funds:

  • Checking account statements
  • Savings account statements
  • Term deposits (e.g., certificates of deposit) with a maturity date before you begin your studies at UC San Diego
  • Stock holdings or investment portfolios if accompanied by documents indicating immediate accessibility of funds
  • Internet statements
  • Funding support letter from department or government/educational institution/business enterprise (see “Financial sponsors” information below)

Financial sponsors

A financial sponsor may be a parent, family member, or another person who will provide financial support. It is not necessary that a financial sponsor reside in the U.S. An individual financial sponsor may provide complete or partial support for the student, but the student’s total financial support must equal or exceed the total estimated costs.

Please be prepared to provide a statement of relationship should your financial sponsorship documentation list a person other than yourself. Although a formal letter or document providing verification of the relationship is not required for I-20/DS-2019 issuance, you may need to provide such evidence at the time of your visa interview. For those sponsored by a government, educational institution, or company or other business enterprise, a letter of financial support is required directly from the sponsor for your I-20 or DS-2019.

Undergraduate Freshman & Transfer (Including EAP/Global Exchange)

Undergraduate Freshman & Transfer 12 Months 9 Months 6 Months 3 Months
Tuition & Fees $43,192 $43,192 $28,795 $14,397
Living Expenses $23,608 $17,706 $11,804 $5,902
Other: Books & Supplies $1,468 $1,468 $979 $489
Total: $67,400 $62,300 $41,500 $20,800
Undergraduate EAP Reciprocity or Global Exchange 12 Months 9 Months 6 Months 3 Months
Tuition & Fees Covered by UCEAP or Global Exchange Covered by UCEAP or Global Exchange Covered by UCEAP or Global Exchange Covered by UCEAP or Global Exchange
Living Expenses $23,608 $17,706 $11,804 $5,902
Other: Health Insurance $1,953 $1,953 $1,300 $650
Other: Books & Supplies $1,468 $1,468 $979 $489
Total: $27,029 $21,127 $14,083 $7,041

Spouse and/or Child

Please note: If you are accompanied by a spouse, and/or children under 21 years old, you must add the following amounts to the total required. If you have more than 2 dependents, add the "2nd dependent costs" for each additional dependent.

Spouse and/or Child 12 Months 9 Months 6 Months 3 Months
1st Dependent $9,600 $7,200 $4,800 $2,400
2nd Dependent $4,800 $3,600 $2,400 $1,200
(updated 02/06/2019)