Skip to main content



Students currently in F-1 status who wish to add their legally married spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as an F-2 dependent status will need to obtain a Form I-20 for each dependent from International Students & Programs Office (ISPO).

All other relatives who wish to come to the U.S. to visit should apply for B-2 (tourism and visit) visa status or the Visa Waiver Program, if eligible.


Requesting Form I-20 for an F-2 Dependent

To request a new Form I-20 for your F-2 dependent, please follow the following instructions:

  • Log in to
  • Go to "Services" tab
  • Select "Dependent I-20/DS-2019 Request"
  • Upload a PDF copy of your bank statement(s) or financial support letter(s) to show funding for the period of your extension
    • The funds need to cover estimated expenses for your tuition & fees
    • The funds also need to cover combined living expenses, other expenses and dependent expenses for both yourself and your F-2 dependent
    • You must show funding to cover expenses for 12 months or the remainder of your study, whichever is less
    • For more information on funding documents requirements, visit our Funding Requirements page
  • Upload a copy of dependent’s biographical page from passport
  • Upload a copy of marriage certificate (spouse dependent) or birth certificate (child dependent) with English translation

Processing Your F-2 I-20 Request

  • A new F-2 I-20 for your F-2 dependent should be ready within 5 business days
  • You can check the status of your request anytime by logging in to iPortal and clicking on "My Requests" tab
  • You will be able to select in iPortal how you would like to receive your document
  • You will be notified by email when your document is ready

Establishing F-2 Status

  • If the spouse/child is outside the U.S.,the F-2 dependent must apply for a F-2 visa and enter the U.S. using the F-2 Visa and I-20 to establish F-2 status in the U.S. OR
  • If the spouse/child is already in the U.S., they may apply for a Change of Status from their current status to F-2. An I-539 Change of Status application must be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Meet with an international student advisor to discuss the change of status process. 

F-2 Employment

  • F-2 dependents may not engage in any employment in the U.S., including practical training.

F-2 Study

  • F-2 dependents are allowed to participate in part-time study in courses offered by a SEVP-certified school. They may also engage in study that is recreational or avocational in nature.

Social Security

  • F-2  dependents are not eligible for a Social Security number

Driver License

  • Please note, dependents must show proof of ineligibility of a Social Security Card with a denial letter from the Social Security Administration prior to applying for a Driver License
  • Visit our Driver License and Transportation page for more information

Family Support Resources