Transferring your SEVIS Record back to UC San Diego from another U.S. School


International students returning back to UC San Diego from another school who are currently in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 visa status, must request the transfer of the SEVIS record from the other institution to UC San Diego and receive a new UC San Diego I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1).

Please review the guidelines below to learn more about the transfer-in process. 

Check your Eligibility for a SEVIS Record Transfer

F-1 Students:


J-1 Students:

J-1 students who wish to transfer from their current program sponsor to UC San Diego must consult with the international student advisors at both schools.

Request your SEVIS Record Transfer from your Current School

Transfer your SEVIS record to UC San Diego:

  • When you are ready to transfer from your current school to UC San Diego, please ask an international student advisor at your current school to transfer your SEVIS record to UC San Diego, and give them the following information:
    • F-1 students: Our SEVIS school code is SND214F00088000. Your advisor can find us in SEVIS by entering “*University of California*” in the Search box. Our school name is “University of California” and our campus name is “University of California, San Diego.”
    •  J-1 students: Our SEVIS program number is P-1-02849. Our school name is "University of California, San Diego."
  • UC San Diego does not use a transfer in form for students transferring into our school. If your current school needs verification of your SEVIS transfer, please e-mail ISPO.

Request an I-20 from UC San Diego

In order to complete your transfer-in process, scan and email the following documents to or drop them off at our front desk during our office hours (Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM):

  •  I-20 Request Form - check the "SEVIS Record Transfer to UC San Diego" category. 
    • You will be asked to enter a "SEVIS Release Date" on the form. This is the date that your record will be released to UC San Diego. Discuss this date with your advisor at your current institution.
  • Copy of one (1) of the following:
    • UC San Diego readmission letter, or
    • email from academic department, or
    • printout of WebReg showing full-time units
  • Copy of current (no more than 3 months old) bank statement or bank letter and/or letter of scholarship or sponsorship
  • Copy of previous institution I-20
  • Copy of I-94

A transfer-in I-20 from will be ready for pick-up or mailing within 10 business days following their transfer release date.

Review Requirements for Students Returning For Summer Session

Thoroughly review the following guidelines, if you are returning to UC San Diego for Summer Session.

Option 1 - Transfer-in I-20 for SEVIS record transfer students:

If you are transferring your SEVIS record to UC San Diego from another institution within the U.S., and would like to study at UC San Diego during the Summer Session, incidental study between programs is allowed according to USCIS regulations and your I-20 will reflect a Fall quarter start date.

In order to be eligible to study during the summer session (part-time or full-time) with an I-20 that has a Fall quarter start date, you must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Appropriately transfer your SEVIS record to UCSD within the 60-day period from your last school’s program end date.
  • The quarter start date of the Fall quarter must be within 5 months of your last date of enrollment at your previous institution.
You will not need an early summer start I-20 to study in the Summer Session of you meet these conditions.


Option 2 - Transfer-in I-20 issued with a Summer Session program start date:

If you are issued an I-20 with a Summer Session start date, you are required to enroll in the following to maintain status:

  • If your I-20 has been issued with a Summer Session 1 start date, you must remain enrolled in a minimum of 6 units in SS1 and 6 units in SS2.
  • If your I-20 has been issued with a Summer Session 2 start date, you must remain enrolled in a minimum of 6 units in SS2.
  • If your I-20 has been issued with a Summer Session 3 start date, you must remain enrolled in a minimum of 6 units for SS3.
  • In order to be eligible for an authorized reduced course load, meet with an international student advisor prior to dropping below full-time. During the regular academic year, full-time enrollment is 12 units per term.

Travel Between Schools

International travel guidance for returning transfer students:

  • Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs.
  • However, transfer students must re-enter with their UC San Diego I-20 or DS-2019 and not the previous school's document.
  • F-1 and J-1 students must have valid visa stamps to re-enter the US.
    • F-1 students can use a valid visa stamp issued for their pre-UC San Diego institution as long as the SEVIS ID number remains the same.
    • If the J-1 student plans to re-enter the U.S. following the transfer, the J-1 student must apply for a new J-1 visa with the new institution's DS-2019. If the J-1 student remains in the U.S. between transfer institutions and does not leave the country, a new J-1 visa stamp is not required.