Information for New International Transfer Students

Current I-20 document processing time:

Fall 2017 Admits:  The iPortal will be available for I-20/ DS-2019 requests from March 15, 2017. The International Students & Programs Office will begin reviewing and processing iPortal requests from April 3, 2017. The deadline for graduate students to submit I-20 or DS-2019 requests via the iPortal is August 1, 2017.

The current I-20 or DS-2019 document processing time is 15 business days upon receipt of a complete application via the iPortal. Allow additional time for mailing. You may check the status of your application by logging in to the iPortal.

SEVIS Transfer Students: If you are transferring from another US school, your new I-20/DS-2019 can only be issued AFTER your SEVIS record has been transferred in SEVIS to UC San Diego. Please follow-up with your International Student Advisor at your current school to coordinate the transfer of your SEVIS record.

I-20/DS-2019 requests for all incoming transfer students (transferring from a U.S. college or university) are processed by the International Students & Programs Office.

How do I get my I-20 (F-1 visa) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa)?

How to request the I-20 or DS-2019: 

Submit the I-20  or DS-2019 request through the iPortal. 

Note: Sign on using your UC San Diego Personal ID (PID) to access the iPortal. Incomplete requests will not be processed.

You will need the following documentation to submit your request.  All documents must be in PDF format.

  • Copy of passport information page
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Transfer Students currently studying in the U.S. must also include:
    • Copy of current I-20/DS-2019 (page 1 only), F-1 or J-1 visa, and I-94 (unless already surrendered at departure)
    • Authorize current school to release your SEVIS record to University of California, San Diego

You can check the status of your request by logging in to the iPortal at any time.

Transferring your SEVIS record to UC San Diego

When you are ready to transfer from your current school to UC San Diego, please ask your student advisor to transfer your SEVIS record to our institution. Review the SEVIS Transfer Instructions sheet with your International Student Advisor at your transfer out school.  Determine the date that the transfer out school will transfer your SEVIS record to UC San Diego. You will need the transfer out date when completing your iPortal request.  UC San Diego does not use a transfer in form for students transferring into our school. If your current school needs verification of your SEVIS transfer, please submit a request to iPortal Inquiries.

The deadline to submit your transfer I-20 or DS-2019 request via the iPortal is August 1, 2017.

Download the SEVIS Transfer Instructions sheet here

When will I receive my I-20 or DS-2019?

Your I-20 or DS-2019 will be issued after you have submitted ALL of the required forms and documentation through the iPortal and AFTER your SEVIS record has been transferred from your current institution to UC San Diego. We need to receive the SEVIS transfer from your current institution before we can issue you a new I-20 or DS-2019, as only one institution can have access to your SEVIS record at a time.

The current processing time listed in the iPortal refers to complete applications only; incomplete requests will cause a delay in processing.

Allow the full processing time listed above before emailing any inquiries regarding your I-20/DS-2019 or documents you have sent. If any items you sent are incomplete or invalid, you will be contacted via email directly after an advisor has thoroughly reviewed your request.

You can check the status of your request by logging in to the iPortal at any time.

Urgent cases: What if I need my I-20 or DS-2019 sooner than your current processing time?

Due to the high volume of requests received by all incoming international students, it is difficult to process an I-20/DS-2019 request faster than the processing time noted above. If you have a visa appointment in less than 3 weeks and have submitted all of the necessary documentation to receive your I-20/DS-2019, do the following:
  • Submit a request to iPortal Inquiries with the subject line "TRANSFER I-20: URGENT REQUEST"
    • The body of the email must include the following: 
      • Full name as listed in your passport 
      • Date you submitted all required documents 
      • Date of your visa appointment with scanned copy of your appointment confirmation
If you are requesting faster processing for any other reason than your visa appointment, follow the instructions above and explain why you need your I-20/DS-2019 sooner. This does not guarantee that your urgent request will be granted, but it will be reviewed by an advisor as soon as possible.

I've already received my I-20 or DS-2019, what should I do next?

Visit our Arrival Information for Admitted Students website for information on what to do once you have received your UC San Diego I-20/DS-2019. You may also visit the "What's Next?" webpage from the Office of Admissions for general information for all admitted students.

Transfer students and summer programs

If you are a Transfer Student transferring to UCSD from another institution within the U.S., and you would like to participate in Programs happening during Summer, please note that incidental study between programs is allowed according to USCIS Regulations.

Studying in the Summer while staying in the U.S.

All transfer I-20s for students transferring from a U.S. school to UC San Diego for the Fall 2017 term are marked with a Program Start Date of 9/25/2017. If you have appropriately transferred your SEVIS record to UCSD within the 60-day period from your last school's program end date, then USCIS Regulations permit incidental study (either part-time or full-time) in the interim period before the 9/25/2017 program start date. In other words, you will NOT need a new I-20 to participate in the Summer Session (or any Early-Start/Bridge Program).

Studying in the Summer and traveling out of U.S.
If you will be traveling and re-entering the U.S. prior to the start date of your Summer program, you may do so using a printout of your UCSD transfer I-20. You will need to inform the office that you will need your new I-20 (listing the 9/25/2017 start date) for travel, with the appropriate Travel Signature authorization from the International Center. Please contact to alert our office of your need, as well as if you have any further questions about the process. Please identify your name, PID and your affiliation with the specific name of the Summer Program so help facilitate our response. As a transfer student you may enter the USA earlier than 30 days before the start date identified in #5 of the form I-20. You may attend summer session if you wish.

On-campus employment while transferring schools

Students may be eligible for on-campus work authorization only at the school that controls their SEVIS record. With DSO permission, students may work on campus at the transfer-out school until the transfer release date (students will need to confirm this with the DSO at their previous institution). Work may begin at the transfer-in school after the transfer release date.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

I have a question about: I should contact: Their email address is:
Admission letter Office of Admissions & Relations with Schools
Immunization/health requirements Office of Admissions & Relations with Schools
Student Health Service
Enrolling in classes Undergraduate College Virtual Advising Center (use to contact an advisor at your specific college) or the New Student Site
Health insurance UCSD Student Health Insurance (SHIP)
Orientation International Students & Programs Office
Undergraduate College

See links below

Revelle College

Muir College

Marshall College

Warren College

Eleanor Roosevelt College

Sixth College

Summer school Summer Session Administration
Transcripts Office of Admissions & Relations with Schools
Transcripts status: refer to MyApplication

Other frequently asked questions

I am required to have an official letter of admission from UC San Diego. When will I receive my letter?
The Office of Admissons and Relations with Schools is currently in the process of mailing out official letters of admission.

What are the UCSD admission health requirements? Do I need to get any immunizations before arriving in San Diego?
The California Department of Public Health recommends that all incoming college students be assessed for their risk of developing Tuberculosis (TB). All incoming students are now required to complete the TB Screening prior to the start of their first quarter. Fall admits will need to have testing done and submit the TB Assessment form by mid-summer. Exact date to be announced on the Student Health Services website..

  • Undergraduates must complete the TB Screening Questionnaire on MyApplication.

For more information about TB and TB testing, visit:

Read Student Health Service's FAQs to review the most commonly asked questions.

For more information, contact Student Health Services at (858) 822-1015 or

When do I enroll in classes? What should I do if I have questions about which classes to enroll in?
Your specific enrollment appointment time will be available to by logging into TritonLink.

Each college has specific guidelines for new student enrollment. We recommend visiting your specific college's Freshmen website for additional information, including timelines and contact information:

Do I need medical insurance during my stay at UCSD? How do I get insurance?
The UC Regents made health insurance a mandatory non-academic condition for enrollment. To ensure that all students have adequate health care coverage, including ongoing primary and specialty care, and to satisfy the mandatory health insurance requirement, UCSD automatically enrolls all registered students into the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).

Additional information regarding SHIP can be found at .

Do I need to attend both my college orientation AND new international student orientation? What if I cannot attend the new international student orientation?
You should make every effort to attend both your college orientation and new international student orientation if possible. Each orientation will cover different and important topics. The orientation for new international students is therefore highly recommended for all international students. Every effort is made to schedule it on a day that does not conflict with college orientations to enable all international students to attend. orientation

College orientation requirements vary by college. We recommend visiting your specific college's orientation website for additional information, including timelines and registration information:

I am transferring from a U.S. community college and want to take summer school at UC San Diego. How do I enroll?
To enroll in summer session at UC San Diego, follow the directions at under "Enrollment Instructions for Incoming Freshman and Transfer Students to UCSD."

How do I submit my transcripts? How do I know when they have been received?
UC San Diego uses an online system called Docufide. Additional information about submitting your transcripts online can be found by logging into MyApplication and reading the instructions next to "Transcripts Status."

International students also have the option of mailing their transcripts in a sealed envelope to:

University of California, San Diego
Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools
Attn: Transcripts
9500 Gilman Drive, Dept 0021
La Jolla, CA 92093-0021

If you have concerns about the receipt of your transcripts, or the name of your academic institution is not noted in your MyApplication checklist, e-mail or contact the Operations Unit at 858-534-4208.

How do I set up my UC San Diego email account?
Every UC San Diego student is assigned a UC San Diego email account. Upon arrival at UC San Diego, you need to activate your email account. To activate your account, you may either:

  1. Go to UCSD Educational Technology Services (ETS) in the Applied Physics & Mathematics Building (AP&M) in Room 1313 or
  2. Visit the ETS website and follow the directions at You will need your student Personal Identification Number (PID not your application ID). PID is usually the letter A followed by 8 digits. Use your application ID to login through TritonLink to get your PID.

How do I register for UC San Diego courses?

  • Undergraduate Students: You will receive course registration information at your college orientation. Online enrollment for new freshmen will randomly assign appointment time. Enroll in classes via TritonLink at Meet with an academic advisor if you need assistance with selecting courses. You are not required to visit your academic advisor before registering for classes.
  • Graduate Students: Meet the graduate coordinator in your academic department

How do I obtain a UC San Diego Photo ID Card?
All students enrolled for the school quarter are entitled to a Triton Card. This is your official university ID card, and you are issued just one active card.
Most undergraduate and graduate students may submit their photo electronically to the Campus Card office.

For more information visit the Campus Card information page here.

Where can I find information on Housing?
Find information on housing resources.