Skip to main content



Set Up All Required Accounts

UC San Diego is committed to the use of technology for communication and student services. You will be able to complete university business and access many of your student records with the same PID number throughout your enrollment at UC San Diego.


Create UC San Diego Triton Login

  1. Go to the sign-in page at to retrieve your Personal ID number (PID) and create your password. Both your PID and password will be required to access WebReg and TritonLink.
  2. Click on the “First Time User?” link located under the Username field to create your account.
  3. You will be asked for your 7-digit UC Application Identification Number you received when you applied.
  4. You will also need to enter your email address, date of birth and city of birth exactly as you entered it on your UC Application.
  5. Follow the prompts to get to the TritonLink portal.


PID vs. Active Directory

Please note the difference between your Personal Identification Number (PID) and your Active Directory username.

  • Personal Identification Number (PID) is provided in the form of A00000000. 
  • Active Directory username consists of your name or initials (for example, if your name is John Jacob Smith, you may have an AD username of jsmith, jjsmith, jjs001, etc).

Using Active Directory Username for Single Sign-On (SSO): Your Active Directory username is used as your email address and as your username to log into any UC San Diego site that requires Single Sign On. Your PID will not work as a log on username unless it is explicitly stated to enter username or PID.

The TritonLink page provides further information regarding the Active Directory account lookup tool (under Set Up an Account), which allows students to look up their Active Directory username by inputting their PID and last name. From there, students can go to to set the password for their Active Directory account.


Creating a DUO Account

DUO is required for all UC San Diego affiliates, including new students. DUO Two-step login is a security feature that requires verification of identity when logging into UC San Diego protected systems. After setting up your Active Directory credentials, you must register for Duo before you can access any UC San Diego Single-Sign On (SSO) based site or application, such as iPortal.

The DUO app is accessible through the Apple App Store and the Google Play store. For further support, please reference the primary DUO information page and the Service Desk provides full support for DUO if needed. 



Things to Keep in Mind

  • Using Correct Credentials: Please make sure you are using your correct AD credentials (not PID) and are registered with DUO to access UC San Diego Single Sign-On sites.
  • VPN: If there are additional issues connecting to UC San Diego sites, please use the UC San Diego VPN. Instructions for installing the VPN can be found here. The VPN also uses DUO, so the student must be registered with DUO BEFORE using the VPN. Instructions

Request your Form DS-2019 (J-1 Students)

International students requiring a non-immigrant  J-1 visa to study in the USA must request and receive a  Form DS-2019 (J-1 Exchange Visitor) to begin their program of study at UC San Diego. The Form DS-2019 is required to apply for the J-1 visa

The deadline to apply for your Form DS-2019 in iPortal for Fall 2021 is August 1, 2021.

*Requests for visa documents will be accepted and processed after August 1st; however, to ensure timely issuance, you are urged to submit before this deadline.

Requesting your Form DS-2019 (J-1) in iPortal:

    You can log into iPortal using your UC San Diego Personal ID (PID)

    Under the Services Tab, start the NEW ADMIT: I-20 or DS-2019 REQUEST

    The iPortal will help you determine what is the appropriate status and visa for you. Note, UCEAP Students are required to apply for the J-1 Visa. (see: F-1 or J-1: Selection of Visa Classification). 


How much funding do I need to show?

  • J-1 students (including EAP students) must show financial support for the entire duration of their program of study to obtain a DS-2019.
  • For exact figures for your specific program of study, see our Funding Requirements Page.


How Long Will It Take to Receive My Document & When Should I Apply in iPortal? 

The processing time for your Form DS-2019 document is 15 business days from the date of a complete submission; incomplete requests will cause a delay in processing. Please keep in mind processing times affected by office closures and holidays. If your application is incomplete or invalid, you will be contacted via email directly after an advisor has thoroughly reviewed your request. Remember, you can check the status of your request by logging in to the iPortal at any time! 

IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR A  J-1 Student Visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside of the United States, please check for Visa Appointment Wait Times. You will need the original Form DS-2019 at your visa interview. For this reason, ensure you apply for your documents in iPortal as soon as possible! 

FALL 2021: Understand your Program Start Date & Earliest Date of Arrival

When Is My Program Start Date?


The first date of the quarter will be the program start date listed on your DS-2019. 

Students who wish to partake in campus activities such as orientation, research, or other events in the 30 days PRIOR to the program start date listed on their DS-2019 may do so without adjusting the program start date.


When Can I Enter the U.S. with My Form DS-2019 from UC San Diego?


J-1 Students who receive a new Form DS-2019 from UC San Diego with a new SEVIS ID Number may enter the U.S. 30 days prior to the Program Start Date listed on the Form DS-2019.

FALL 2021: Understand your Earliest and Latest Date of Entry to the U.S.

J-1 students may use their Form DS-2019 issued with a Fall 2021 program start date to enter the U.S. up to 30 days before but no later than 30 days after the program start date listed on their Form DS-2019*.

If your date of entry to the U.S. is after October 20th, which is more than 30 days after the Fall 2021 program start date listed on your Form DS-2019, your must submit a NEW ADMIT: DS-2019 Amendment/Reprint request within the iPortal to receive an updated DS-2019 with a future program start date reflecting the next available term, Winter 2022. You can then use the Form DS-2019 issued with a Winter 2022 program start date to enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start of classes for Winter 2022.


*Note that students must consult with their home university, exchange program coordinators (UCEAP or Global Exchange) as well as their course instructors for permission to begin their in-person or hybrid classes anytime after the official start of fall quarter 2021.




Can I Start Working or Research Upon Arrival to the U.S.?


Note that J-1 Exchange Visitors must obtain work authorization for any type of employment under their program dates in the United States. 

  • J-1 On-Campus Employment: J-1 Students must obtain work authorization PRIOR to starting any type of on-campus employment such as Teaching Assistantships, Graduate Research, or work on school premise that is not related to their program of study. 
  • J-1 Off-Campus Employment: J-1 Students must wait a minimum of one academic quarter in order to apply for off-campus work authorization known as Academic Training. Students must obtain work authorization through Academic Training PRIOR to starting any type of paid off-campus employment that is not on school premise. All off-campus employment must be directly related to their program of study. 



After receiving your DS-2019 (J-1 Exchange Visitors), you must pay your SEVIS fee to activate your document. This fee is paid each time you receive a new SEVIS ID Number. 

Students transferring their SEVIS record to UC San Diego are NOT required to pay the SEVIS fee again since their SEVIS ID Number remains the same.

  • Pay via Internet, via Western Union, or by mail.
  • Keep the Form I-797 receipt in a safe place.
  • Review the FMJ Fee Page for details.