Skip to main content



While the International Students & Programs Office (ISPO) is unable to offer specific tax advice, we may be able to point you to toward appropriate tax resources. You can review this page and visit  for additional general tax guidance.  International students and scholars with tax related questions may contact  with general questions.

In some cases, you may decide to seek tax advice with a licensed tax professional. ISPO recommends working with tax professionals with training in non-resident alien (NRA) tax regulations.



All F and J International Students:

File Form 8843 Every Year

All international students present in F or J visa status in the U.S. during any part of 2022, who are also considered to be nonresident aliens for tax purposes must complete and file the Form 8843, even if they had no U.S. source income.

If you had U.S. source income, then you need to file this form together with your tax return.

Please keep in mind that neither UC San Diego nor any of its employees are authorized to offer tax advice, and ISPO employees are not trained on answering tax questions.

UC San Diego-specific instructions on how to complete the Form 8843 can be found here: How to Complete Form 8843.

General instructions on how to file Form 8843 can be found on the following United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website: About Form 8843.


F and J International Students Who Received Any U.S. Source Income in 2022:


Please keep in mind that neither UC San Diego nor any of its employees are authorized to offer tax advice, and ISPO employees are not trained on answering tax questions.

However, our partner office, the International Faculty & Scholars Office (IFSO) has put together a useful tax page with general tax advice:

Attend Tax Workshops

Date Time Location Topic Registration Information


12:00 pm Online Understanding Taxes in the U.S. Details & RSVP here


12:00 pm Online Completing the Federal Tax Form 8843

Details & RSVP here


12:00 pm Online Federal Tax Workshop

Details & RSVP here


12:00 pm Online State Tax Workshop

Details & RSVP here


Use Glacier Tax Prep Software

  • UC San Diego has purchased a license for Glacier Tax Prep (GTP) software to help international students and scholars affiliated with UC San Diego at any point during 2022 and who were nonresident aliens for tax purposes to use for filing their federal tax returns, at no cost
  • Those persons who had complete UC San Diego Glacier records as of 12/31/2022 will receive an email from Glacier ( with the subject line "Welcome to Glacier Tax Prep" and instructions for login
  • If you do not receive this email by mid-March 2023, you may request an access code by emailing your request to 

Contact IRS and FTB for Additional Tax Information

  • If you have additional questions regarding your specific situation, we recommend contacting the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at (800) 829-1040
  • For questions about the California state taxes, you may also contact the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) at (800) 852-5711
  • You may also visit this link from the IRS and read this presentation from IRS: Electronic Toolkit for Nonresident Aliens (PDF from the IRS)


Review Additional Resources:

Learn About ITIN

If you do not yet have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and you need one for tax purposes, then visit our ITIN Information page for more details about the ITIN.

Learn about Social Security Number (SSN)

If you do not yet have a Social Security Number (SSN) and you need one for tax purposes, then visit our Social Security Number page for more details about the SSN.