Skip to main content



Students currently in F-1 or J-1 visa status who wish to add their legally married spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as an F-2 or J-2 dependent status will need to obtain a Form I-20 (F-2) or DS-2019 (J-2) for each dependent from the International Students & Programs Office (ISPO).

All other relatives who wish to come to the U.S. to visit should apply for B-2 (tourism and visit) visa status or the Visa Waiver Program, if eligible.


Request Form I-20/DS-2019 for a Dependent

  • Log in to .
  • Go to "Services" tab.
  • Select "Dependent I-20/DS-2019 Request".
  • Fill out your request.
  • Upload a PDF copy of your bank statement(s) or financial support letter(s).
    • The funds need to cover estimated expenses for your tuition & fees.
    • The funds also need to cover combined living expenses, other expenses and dependent expenses for both yourself and your F-2/J-2 dependent.
    • You must show funding to cover expenses for 12 months or the remainder of your study, whichever is less.
    • For more information on funding documents requirements, visit our Funding Requirements page.
  • Upload a PDF copy of dependent’s biographical page from passport
  • Upload a PDF copy of marriage certificate (spouse dependent) or birth certificate (child dependent) with English translation.
  • "Submit" your request.

Review What Happens Next

  • A new I-20/DS-2019 for your F-2/J-2 dependent will be issued within 5 business days.
  • You can check the status of your request anytime by logging in to iPortal and clicking on "My Requests" tab
  • A notification email will be sent to you when your document is ready.
  • Sign your dependent's new I-20/DS-2019 when you receive it and give it to your dependent.
  • Your F-2 dependent will need to do one of the following two actions:
    1. Apply for an F-2 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence, and then enter the U.S. with the F-2 visa stamp in their passport, or 
    2. If your dependent is already in the U.S. in a different visa status, and prefers not to travel outside the U.S. to do the option 1 described above, they will need to file an I-539 Application To Change Status (COS) with USCIS while remaining in the U.S. Your dependent is required to maintain their current visa status while their COS is pending with USCIS.

Additional Resources

For more information on your dependent's employment, insurance, travel and other matters, you can visit our Family and Dependents Resources.